Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Changing Cartoon Characters


Changing Body Types of Cartoon Ionics

I have heard that the group, Project Know, has decided to make a change in their cartoon characters by fattening them up to look like a more realistic body type. The reason for this change was that cartoons were fat-shaming kids by having characters in thin unattainable body types that no one can attain too. 

         I do believe this is a good step in body positivity!  There are kids that watch these cartoons and they need a body type that they can relate to.  This is will help kids see that they can like their bodies versus be ashamed of themselves because they can’t reach an unrealistic body image that the cartoons were presenting for a long time.  According to the article, teenage cartoons are stuck in yesteryear’s thinking that characters to look great meaning both genders of characters looked very thin and unrealistic.   The problem with these characters looking like this is that kids see this and strive to look like those cartoon characters even though they aren’t realistic.   It was refreshing to see that both genders got the fullness make over so it matches with the typical body type of both boys and girls.
         I do remember watch cartoons as a kid; I have never given any thought to what they looked like. I enjoyed the shows. If I did remember one character, She-ra from the Heman cartoons, she was made to look real thin and beautiful.  If I were a young girl looking at that that image, I would be thinking maybe I should look like that.   I know now that is an unattainable image to try for and no matter what I did to myself to get to look like that it would not happen. 

         Parents need to explain to their kids, that they may see some cartoon characters on television and in coloring and books with super heroes, these figures aren’t real and are imaginary people. The parents can have a dialogue with an older child around nine or ten and ask him or her what they think about the cartoon, and assure them that they look fine the way they are, and are loved too. I think parents should be good role models for body positivity. They could explain to their kids what their body does for them and how to take care of their body effectively.  Another thing parents could do is not body shame others that may be heavier or look different. If the parent does body shame, the parent should say to the child, “I was wrong to say that.”  Teach the children that though there are different body types out there, that person is beautiful.   If kids see adults treat their body as positive and treat others nice there would be way less body shaming!


2 comments:

  1. I agree, Kat! I wish this society placed more emphasis on the inside of us, rather than the outer appearance.

    ReplyDelete