Saturday, December 24, 2016

Holiday Hero


Holiday Hero

I would have to say that my mother-in law deserves the title for being my holiday hero. Here are some reasons why she qualified for this role.
When Terry and I were dating, she gave me a box of chocolate covered cherries so I have something to open along with the family. Even though she really didn't know me too well, she extended her welcome to celebrate Christmas with them.
The next year when Terry and I became engaged, she made sure that I came and spent Christmas with them. She gave me hug and a kiss after giving her with a night gown. She was so overjoyed to be getting that. She also let everyone know there that I would be joining the family. I felt like I was already in. She was so warm and welcoming all the time.
During the time that she was alive, she always held Christmas maybe a week after Christmas or before, to ensure others could join their families on the actual holiday.
This woman was so giving and even though she didn't have a lot of resources, she made it fun to be there. She did a lot with the little she had. She loved her family being around and she lit up brighter than the Christmas tree there. She even had Christmas music there and just had great time hosting the family.
Prior to her going into the nursing home, she spent Christmas at our house. She loved it and enjoyed opening her gifts and spending time with her family. When she entered the nursing home, she just got a kick out of that we brought Christmas to her in the big party room at the facility. Even though she was gripped with Alzheimer's Disease; she still loved the holidays and had fun with us for as long as the disease would allow.
In the end, I would like to say that, this dear woman who had a heart of gold was also the glue that held our family together. She will be missed but very much loved!

2 comments: